FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Where do you deliver?
Please see our delivery map to find out if we deliver to your area.
Q: What does a BLITZ garden look like?
Every BLITZ garden measures 4′ wide by 8′ long and 10″ deep. Once built and filled with high-quality, organic soil from Blue Ribbon Organics (included), it will look like this:
Q: Why raised beds?
Milwaukee County’s landscape has been ruled by industry for so long that most of our soil is contaminated with toxins. For this reason, we encourage residents to garden in raised beds with healthy soil brought in from elsewhere. If you’re curious about your soil and would like to have it tested for general growing requirements or for lead, follow the links below.
Q: What is included in the price of a BLITZ garden?
- 10″ deep untreated pine lumber bed construction* – no chemicals leaching into your soil.
- Delivery of 1 cubic yard of high-quality, organic soil from Blue Ribbon Organics that will give your veggies all the nutrients they need to flourish without chemical fertilizers!*
- Move Grass Grow Food yard sign – to show all your neighbors that they can grow their own food, too.
- Thanks to a generous donation from Stein’s, each BLITZ garden recipient will receive a few packets of veggie seeds to start their garden growing!*
- Installation by VGI volunteers (you don’t have to do any heavy lifting!)*
- Endless community-building opportunities…
*If you were to build a similar garden yourself, you’d spend between $185 – $400 with lumber, seeds, organic soil and delivery costs, not to mention all the time you’d spend putting it all together. Plus, your purchase helps us keep doing the work we do, building communities that grow their own food!
Q: When will my garden be installed?
We cannot predict precisely when your garden will be installed because this is a volunteer-driven event. However, the process for garden installation looks like this:
- Volunteers will first install your garden box any day during May 12th – 26th. Volunteers will call you as they are heading to your site to install your garden. You do not need to be present for your garden to be installed, but please have the location marked out and unlock any gates that will prevent volunteers from entering the garden space. Don’t forget to bring your dogs inside!
- Volunteers will call you again when they return to fill your garden with 1 cubic yard of soil, any day after your bed is built, but definitely by May 26th.
- If you have questions or concerns about your garden during the BLITZ, you can always call Program Coordinator Eric at 414-431-0888 (office) or on the BLITZ phone.
Q: What do I have to do to register?
Registration begins mid-November to early December. Watch for announcements during this time for further details.
Q: What do I need to do before my garden arrives?
- Make sure you pick a spot in your yard that gets full sun – at least 6 hours or more during summer.
- Then, before volunteer crews arrive, mark the spot with corner stakes, or some other method that will be obvious to volunteers when they arrive (stones, flower pots, sticks, etc).
- Some recipients also choose to lay down cardboard boxes or burlap over the site as a weed barrier to prevent grass from poking through into the garden. Anything biodegradable (made from natural materials like cotton or paper) should work – no plastic, as it can leach chemicals into your organic soil!
Q: Do I need to be home for my garden to be installed?
No, you do not need to be present. Please mark the spot where your garden will be (see above under “What do I need to do before my garden arrives?”) and make sure there is access to your garden. If you have a gate, be sure to leave it unlocked!
Q: Where can I find seeds and plants?
Each BLITZ garden will receive a varied selection of 10 vegetable and flower seed packets. You can also order seeds and plants locally from Slow Food WIse and Teens Grow Greens. Many grocery, hardware and dollar stores sell seeds, and garden centers carry transplants to get a head start on the growing season.
Q: I already have a bed, but would like soil added to my existing garden(s). Do you do that?
Yes! You can order just soil through the BLITZ and volunteers will come to drop it off wherever you’d like during the BLITZ (just be sure to indicate where in your registration). Don’t know how many cubic yards to order? Use this soil calculator (1 yard = 27 cubic feet):
Q: How can I volunteer for the Victory Garden BLITZ?
Great question! Volunteer Registration is listed on our Volunteer Calendar. If you are interested in bringing a group, please use the contact form to provide us with details.
Q: I’m new to gardening. How do I get a Garden Mentor?
Since Victory Garden Initiative does not have enough Garden Mentor volunteers for everyone, you’ll need to apply to receive the help of a Mentor. Mentors visit you five times over the course of the season, including once before the garden is installed to help you pick a good site. For more information, click here.
Please direct questions to our Program Coordinator Eric at 414-431-0888 or use the contact form to provide more details.