Although it’s a strange and uncertain time, we are more certain than ever that growing nutritious local food is crucial to our community’s health and welfare. Victory Garden Initiative has been receiving many inquiries about how to grow food and how to sign up for a Blitz garden. We hope that this information will be helpful to you.
Here at VGI we are looking on the bright side and see this as an opportunity to come together as a community to build cooperative power and health. We are here to answer your questions about how you can be a part of this movement!
Great Milwaukee Victory Garden BLITZ and COVID-19
At VGI, the well-being of our staff, community members, volunteers, and partners is our top priority, during the COVID-19 pandemic and always. Our team is monitoring updates and recommendations from the CDC and local government to inform our programs and services. Last year we saw unprecedented interest in our garden building program last year and hope to rise to the challenge to meet demand once again this year. Based on the latest guidelines, our success with our modified program last year, and an understanding that working outdoors has a low risk for disease transmission, we have decided to once again push forward with the Blitz, which will take place from April 17th – May 16th.
Local food growing infrastructure has never been more important. If we come together, (but no closer than 6ft) we can build a sustainable and resilient local food system in Milwaukee that will help keep us healthy and strong!
VGI staff will be abiding by the following safety protocols when installing gardens:
Social Distancing Measures
- Reducing volunteer numbers at build sites,
- Asking volunteers to wear masks when in close contact with others,
- Organizing work flow to best allow for volunteers to maintain 6ft social distancing,
Enhanced Sanitizing Procedures
- Sanitizing all trucks and tools at the close of each volunteer shift,
- Encouraging volunteers to bring their own tools for their own use to reduce tool sharing,
- Screening of staff and volunteers at beginning of shift,
- Access to extra PPP and sanitizing supplies to all volunteers,
Click the button below to read our full-guidelines for volunteers.
COVID INFORMATION SHEET